Friday, April 25, 2008

Aloha

I had one day on Oahu, one day. And, when I stopped to count, I realized I'd been there for 10 days a couple of years ago, and, before that, to celebrate my PhD in 1992. How very long ago that is, and even longer ago 1978, when Barbara and I lived in Wahiawa with Sue and then in Waimalu, over the grocery store.

Courtney and I rented a car and drove to the north shore for coffee in Haleiwah, and we waded in the water at the beach park, which is kind of spruced up with a stone wall and parking spaces, but the old bridge is still there with its beautiful concrete arches. Then on to Waiamea Bay for a swim in the most perfect swimming waters in the world. The currents were strong but the water and weather were perfect and I had the most satisfying fifteen minutes of swimming I have had since I left there in 1992. Courtney was on a mission to have a burrito for lunch. I did not think her chances were good on the North Shore, but there are now three Mexican restaurants in Haleiwah, so we had burritos and Negra Modelo beer. Then we went off to find Waimalu shopping center and Baldwin's Sweet Shop, which is right next door to its old location, bigger, cleaner, better organized but still ragged around the edges and truly local with a huge shave-ice menu. Yah, I get one passion fruit wid everyting, asuki bean and ice cream. Ono!

No comments: