Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Humor in India

Here is a joke shared with us by our Agra driver, Keshin:

Three businessmen were on an airplane flying over the ocean, an American, a Japanese, and an Indian. The American pulled out his money clip, and tossed a thousand dollar bill out the window; it was nothing (except of course a challenge!). The Japanese businessman responded swiftly. He said, "In Japan we understand that money is not everything; we appreciate quality engineering, innovative technology, and good aesthetic style and we know that we can always find even more of these qualities in our productions." So, he took off his watch and threw it out the window, sitting back with a faint smile and a fully satisfied air. The Indian understood the challenge. He was thinking furiously while the ostentatious show was acted out, "What do we do in India, like no one else does?" Hmm, he thought of beautiful silk clothing, but... ah, all of Asia does that. He thought of abundant gold jewelry and large sparkling gem stones, but the whole hip-hop industry does that. He thought of Bollywood, but... well, it rhymes with Hollywood... Ah! Finally he had it: What Indians make like nowhere else is people! So he tossed the American and Japanese businessmen out the window...

As for me, I took my one hour of Bollywood dancing lesson, and I really enjoyed it, full of that pulsating rhythm and much graceful hand gesture, used coyly to suggest that it's all feminine and ripe in here beneath the colorful silk wrap. So, we were in a family-owned jewelry store in Agra and the family was playing a Hindi-pulsating tune while we enjoyed a relaxed conversation. It was my moment. I crouched down, turning my face away, then raised up with my hands turning over head, then turned in a circle clicking my wrists together, hands undulating, foot stepping in a circle, and coyly pulled my two hands across my face, fingers spreading to reveal my way-too-tempting self. Yes, the family had a very good laugh, and so did I... I will gladly give lessons on my return!

No comments: